Sunday, September 14, 2014

   This week I started reading 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire. I had seen the musical before so that is what made me pick up this book when I saw it. I hadn't known that the musical was based off of a book. I was intrigued at first because I though it was the musical straight into a book, but it was actually the original version of the story 'Wicked'.  I got excited, I wanted to see if the two versions of the story were different. I read about a quarter of the book and I had to put it away. I expected a great story that was thrilling and witty. All I got were large words and a story that put me to sleep. Even the parts that were supposed to be exciting, were boring. I don't think that this book is meant for the younger ages but it still doesn't seem like it would interest anyone. The first word that comes to mind when I think of this book is dull. The wording makes it hard to understand at times and sound like it was written 100 years ago. I still love the musical, but the book kind of disappointed me because I thought that I wasn't going to want to put the book down, but that was all I wanted to do. I don't want to put the book in a terrible place though. I still think the musical is wonderful, and it's story line was derived from the book, so it can't be completely awful. I still wouldn't recommend this book to read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment