Sunday, September 28, 2014

I am currently reading 'If I stay' by Gayle Forman. I am reminded of 'The Fault in Our Stars' when I read this book. I feel like I have been let into someones life story when I read these books. I feel like I am in their head knowing what they think about things before you hear what they say about things definitely gives you insight. Hazel and Mia also have a lot of the same traits. They are both very grown up, knowing how to take in their surroundings. They were both forced into the situations they are in causing them to grow up faster than their peers. Hazel has lung and thyroid cancer, while Mia is in a coma having to make the decision to live or die. They are both strong, female protagonists. In each of their stories, Mia and Hazel find ways to come out on top, defeat their demons. The books also have similarities. The tone of each book is undeniably known by each reader right when they read the summary. The tone is realistic with ups and downs, just like life. In 'The Fault in Our Stars' Hazel's dose of the harsh real world, is having her life revolving around the fact that she has cancer. Hazel doesn't let the fact that she has cancer stop her from making her own adventures. She finds Augustus and they fall into their own real life daydream together. In 'If I Stay' Mia is in a coma fighting with herself, deciding if life is even what she wants anymore. She goes through her life, her happiest moments, and her saddest, to see what she really truly wants. Even after loosing her parents she remains strong, deciding her fate. 

1 comment:

  1. I have read both of these books but didn't make the connection and now that you've pointed it out all i see is the relationship!!

    ReplyDelete